The very first 30 Day Sketchbook Challenge ran in Jan 2018, attracting over 1600 people to draw something in their sketchbooks every day for 30 days. The atmosphere was fantastic and the sheer volume of sketches and doodles overwhelming. It was amazing to see so many people picking up a pencil or pen (including LOADS of beginners) and just get sketching. No pressure, no judgement – just daily creative fun.
I am super-excited to announce that the challenge will be running for it’s third year, starting on 1st January 2020 – New Year’s Day!
To help you to make drawing in your sketchbook a regular habit by challenging you to follow this 30 days of sketching prompts that arrive straight into your inbox.
So What is a Sketchbook Challenge?
Put simply, it is a commitment to draw in your sketchbook for 30 days in a row. Whether you draw for 30 seconds, 30 minutes or even several hours, it doesn’t matter. Whether you are a beginner to drawing or a professional artist, it doesn’t matter. The aim is just to make drawing become a habit and part of your daily routine. I want to help you to fill your sketchbook, boost your creativity and get your drawing mojo back on top form. Plus you can start at any time!
Who is the Sketchbook Challenge For?
The challenge is suitable for anyone who wants to give it a go… For example:
- Beginners to drawing looking for some ideas of where to start
- Art students
- Professional artists needing some starting points for work
- Printmakers on any of my online courses looking for ideas for prints
- Anyone creative looking for a good New Year’s Resolution
- Creative people just wanting a fun challenge
- People with 5 minutes to spare and a blank sketchbook…
- Anyone who just wants to draw a bit more!
How Does it Work?
1. Firstly, you need to join the Sketchbook Challenge Mailing List (Note: You will already be on the list if you took part in 2019).
2. Then, starting from 01.01.20 I will email you once per day for 30 days, challenging you to pick up a pencil, pen or other drawing device and draw in your sketchbook. In the email I will give you a simple subject matter or prompt to work from. Some will be really simple and others maybe a word or more open-ended theme.
3. Take the prompt, open your sketchbook and get drawing.
You may find that some days you spend just a minute or two on a sketch – creating a loose sketch or rough doodle. Other days you may really get into a topic and work for longer or even do a few pages of drawings. You can use pencil, charcoal, pens, paints, biro, pastels, in fact any medium you want – the choice is entirely yours. All I ask is that you DRAW SOMETHING every day… Let’s build that regular daily drawing habit up and get creative.
How Do I Join in the Fun?
There are three simple steps:
1. Join the Mailing List and Receive your Welcome Email
Fill in the form below to register for the sketchbook challenge. You will receive a welcome email straight away explaining the next steps. Then on 01.01.20 you will receive another email from me giving you a prompt for what to draw or work on. When this arrives simply open it up, read the contents and get sketching!
2. Join the Facebook Group
The first email will also prompt you to go and join the special Facebook group dedicated to everyone who is taking part in this challenge. The very first challenge ran in Jan 2018 so you will find lots of lovely friendly faces already in here that took part the challenge in 2018 and 2019. Here you will be able to share your daily work, chat with other challengers as well as myself and see what others are up to. It is helpful (but NOT essential) that you join this group to get the full experience and support from the community of other budding sketchers!
3. Go buy a sketchbook!
And finally go and get yourself a shiny new sketchbook! Maybe buy some pencils, some pens, paints and crayons – whatever you need to get excited about this challenge – go buy it!
And that’s it!
Don’t forget to look out for our special hashtag and use this when sharing your work on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter: #30daysketchbookchallenge
What are People Saying Already…
A number of people have joined the challenge already, and are some of their reasons for joining in:
- I just love art and being creative
- I have wanted to start sketching more regularly and I hope this will help!
- To make and commit more time to do art and to improve
- To remind me to draw more
- To help me start sketching again
- I love to sketch and find it very therapeutic but life can be so hectic I forget to spend time on the things I love to do 🙂
- Because I’m a full time painter but want to get back into the very good habit of using a sketchbook daily
- To encourage myself to try drawing
- Love an arty challenge…
So, Join In the Challenge and Sign Up Today…
So, why not p,p,p pick up a pencil and join me for this fun 30-day challenge? You only need 5 minutes per day to take part and it is completely FREE. This is just for fun!
Who Am I?
Hello, I’m Susan. I am an artist, author and art tutor based in Woking in the UK.
I have written two books on linocutting including Amazon no. 1 bestseller, Learning Linocut (2011) and the new book A Beginner’s Guide to Linocut (2019), which is also now an Amazon no.1 bestseller!
Why not join me for my annual 30-Day Sketchbook Challenge, starting on 01 Jan each year? I love getting new people interested in art, sketching and creativity.
As well as creating my own drawings and prints I love educating and sharing my knowledge – I have a number of e-courses tutoring beginners to drawing, sketching and printmaking. These include Sketching for Fun, Mindful Drawing and Doodling for Beginners, Learning Linocut, Introduction to Woodcut, Learn Monoprinting, Introduction to Wood Engraving and How to Teach Craft Workshops.
I am also a busy mama, a pottery cafe owner and reading addict.
All five of my books, online courses and my creative blog can be found on my website www.magenta-sky.com.
I hope you are ready for the 2020 sketchbook challenge? I certainly am!
Artist and Author
Follow me on Instagram here www.instagram.com/learninglinocut